The UN Migration Agency (IOM) is inviting professional and emerging filmmakers to submit perception-changing films about the migrant experience for the second annual Global Migration Film Festival (5–18 December).
The Global Migration Film Festival showcases films that capture the promise and challenges of migration for those who leave their homes in search of a better life and the unique contributions migrants make to their new communities.
In 2016, the inaugural festival took place in 89 countries. Nearly 10,000 people attended 220 screenings at cinemas, universities, cultural institutions and other venues. The festival hosted 13 films and documentaries, as well as 200 short films about and by migrants.
“The journeys migrants take, sometimes full of peril, often full of hope, have been the subject of films throughout the history of cinema,” said IOM Director General William Lacy Swing. “We hope the films at our next festival will instil understanding, empathy with characters, awe at their journeys and admiration for those who welcome their new neighbours.”
Categories, awards and submission information
- Deadline for submission is 17 September 2017.
- Festival themes: The promise and challenge of migration, and the positive contributions migrants make to their new communities.
- Professional filmmakers working in all genres are invited to submit films of at least 25 minutes in length for consideration.
- Emerging filmmakers from 92 select countriesare invited to submit films of at least 25 minutes in length for both the festival and a competition. A committee of international film professionals will select three standout productions, and each winner will receive USD 1,500.
- Filmmakers from 92 select countries who have migrated in their lifetime are invited to submit a short video about their own experience, or a profile of other migrants, to become part of IOM’s globali am a migrantcampaign. These videos will also be considered for screening at the 2017 film festival.
- Festival locations, dates and selected films will be announced in October 2017.
- Visit IOM’s website for more details about categories, awards and submission guidelines.
The Global Migration Film Festival is a partner of Plural+ and the UN campaign, TOGETHER, which aim to change negative perceptions and attitudes towards refugees and migrants.
For more details about IOM’s Global Migration Film Festival and the i am a migrant campaign, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Media queries, email: email@example.com
For further information on becoming a partner, sponsor or festival co-host, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org