Junior Consultant - Regional Mapping of Migration Policies
The Junior Consultant will be tasked to assist the lead consultant to conduct a regional mapping of migration policies across the East and Horn of Africa with a focus on BMM implementing countries which include; Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan and Uganda for the purpose of better understanding whether the policies adequately address the migration challenges in the region in line with the objectives of the Global Compact for Migration, Sustainable Development Goals among other global and regional frameworks. The mapping will include the analysis of whether cross cutting issues such as climate change, gender and data management have been adequately considered and addressed in migration policies.
Under the direct supervision of the BMM Senior Regional Programme Coordinator and working closely with the BMM Project Support Officer, relevant Regional Thematic Specialists, Regional Policy Liaison Officer and the Special Liaison Unit in Addis Ababa, the recruited Consultant will be required to;
1. Assist in conducting a desk review of the migration policies in the BMM countries to include identification of whether cross-cutting issues are recognized and addressed in such policies, the extent to which Member States are reporting on their migration management and present an Inception Report- maximum 15 pages, highlighting background information and mapping methodologies, scope of work and expected outcomes.
2. In coordination with the lead consultant develop data collection tools to be used for the mapping and submit for approval by the BMM RO team.
3. In coordination with the lead consultant submit a work plan inclusive of tentative travel dates to selected countries and key informants to be contacted.
4. Organize and conduct meetings with relevant authorities in the region, liaising extensively with; Governments, United Nations agencies, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) such as the EAC and IGAD, as well as Non- Governmental Organizations.
5. Conduct field visits to BMM implementing countries and offices of RECs located in the region aiming at obtaining information on how policies are contributing to migration management.
6. Coordinate and facilitate a Regional Consultative Workshop on Migration Policies involving key stakeholders in the EHoA region as agreed with the lead consultant.
7. Coordinate and facilitate a Validation Workshop involving key stakeholders in the EHoA region.
8. Contribute the the production of the final a report - maximum 50 pages, with key findings, good practices and recommendations as per the data collected from the mapping exercise.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, International Development, or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
2. University degree in the above fields with three years of relevant professional experience.
3. Advanced research, writing, outreach and communications skills with previous experience in conducting research or assessments in the field of migration.
4. Experience in data management, including good knowledge on databases and electronic tools.
5. Experience in working with governmental or non- governmental institutions, more so in the EHoA region.
6. Previous experience in implementing activities related to migration management in BMM countries is advantageous.
Mode of Application:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Position Title and Vacancy Number with three professional referees, and their contacts (both email and telephone) to International Organization for Migration (IOM), RO Human Resources Department, via e-mail: email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: 2nd December 2020
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.