Consultant – Mainstreaming Migration into Rural Development Planning
To finalize IOM-FAO Guide on Integrating Migration into the Rural Development Sector in Kenya.
The incumbent will oversee the review, validation, and promotion of the IOM-FAO Guide on Integrating Migration into the Rural Development Sector in Kenya. The 5-month consultancy contract will be overseen by the IOM Kenya Mission’s Programme Manager of Labour Mobility and Human Development and Migrant Protection and Assistance Department and supported by the MMICD project.
SPECIFIC TASKS OF THE CONSULTANCY:
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Programme and Policy Development and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager, Labour Mobility & Human Development and Migrant Protection and Assistance Department, in coordination with the MMICD Project Manager, the Consultant will:-
1. Participate in an inception meeting with IOM, FAO, and selected Government counterparts and prepare an inception report, detailing the general understanding of the assignment, work plan and deliverables.
2. Finalize a jointly agreed work plan with timelines for sharing drafts.
3. Conduct consultations and workshops with stakeholders on integrating migration into rural development plans, policies, and programmes.
4. Carry out pre and post surveys to collect feedback to inform the Guide.
5. Share findings and recommendations for the above consultation meetings and propose way forward with relevant counterparts.
6. Update the IOM-FAO Kenya Guide on mainstreaming migration into rural development in Kenya with above key recommendations.
7. Organize final launch event on the Guide for relevant government services and other stakeholders in Kenya on integrating migration into rural development.
8. Any other relevant duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATION AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Education and Experience:
1. University degree in social sciences, demography and migration, political science, international relations, economics or other relevant subject.
2. At least five years’ experience on migration related matters linked to Agricultural and Rural Development.
3. Experience in developing and strengthen monitoring, and evaluation procedures for sustainability of the mainstreaming tool.
4. Understanding of the current state of the impact of rural to urban migration its impact at both national and county level.
5. Understanding of the SDGs and how they should be incorporated into the mainstreaming tool.
1. Experience in rural development and migration.
2. Familiar with qualitative and quantitative methods and approaches.
3. Skills in organizing workshops and events.
4. Strong writing and editing skills.
5. Proven communication skills and fluency in the English language
Additionally, the consultant must have the ability to:
1. Produce high quality outputs in a timely manner, while understanding and anticipating the evolving needs on the ground.
2. Assess situations or circumstances, and to draw sound conclusions.
3. Think strategically, manage competing priorities and be highly organized.
4. Work independently and produce high quality outputs.
5. Display sensitivity towards: culture, gender, religion, race and nationality.
6. Willingness and ability to travel within the country for an extended period of time.
7. Strong communication and presentation skills and attention to detail.
8. Advanced knowledge in the usage of computers and office software packages.
Fluency in written and spoken English.
MODE OF APPLICATION
To apply for this consultancy, interested and eligible applicants can send copies of the following documents to the International Organization for Migration (IOM), Human Resources Department at email@example.com
1. Cover letter and CV describing previous experience providing similar services to
2. Samples of previous similar works (e.g. documents and/or links to websites);
Including a technical and financial proposal.
Closing Date: 12 May 2021
Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.