Regional Security Associate
The Office of Staff Security (OSS) is responsible for providing leadership on safety safety/security policy management and Country Office (CO) operational support to enable safest and most effective implementation and delivery of IOM programmes and activities.
Under the direct operational supervision of the Regional Security Officer, and overall supervision of the Regional Director and the Director of the Office of Staff Security in Headquarters, the incumbent will be responsible for actively assisting the IOM Regional Office (RO) for East and Horn of Africa with implementing appropriate safety and security management procedures that will effectively address issues surrounding staff safety, security and the protection of IOM assets.
The incumbent will also be responsible for assisting all IOM Missions within the region when and where necessary.
CORE FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
In particular he/she will:
1. Supports in the implementation of regions specific safety and security plans, by remaining conversant with various procedures and policies of UN DSS and the IOM security management system and advising the Regional Security Officer and the RSO on safety and security issues in the assigned fields of responsibility.
2. Update all regional contact lists including Call Sign lists, and ensure overall operability of communications systems, particularly SCAAN, through monitoring, testing, and regular maintenance of regional communications operability. Assist the Regional Security Officer in ensuring that all relevant safety and security information is disseminated in a timely manner to IOM personnel.
3. Supports the Regional Security Officer in liaising with UNDSS, government counterparts, and other local security stakeholders at the appropriate level.
4. Contributes to maintaining an orderly filing system for all security files.
5. Supports the Regional Security Officer in maintaining an updated level of communication documentation and files.
6. Efficiently monitors and analyze the local and regional security situation and reports significant events/incidents in a timely manner to the Regional Security Officer using prescribed reporting forms and modalities.
7. Coordinate security information with the Regional Security Analyst that requires threat and risk analysis for potential direct or indirect impact to IOM personnel and operations within the region.
8. Undergoes radio procedure training and maintains a sufficient level in radio procedure skills to support the Regional Security Officer in radio procedure training for national staff.
9. Support the RSO in investigations (when required) and reports security breaches/incidents within the OSS mandate, while ensuring strict confidentiality.
10. Supports the Regional Security Officer in conducting physical security survey of offices, vehicles and staff residences to ensure compliance to the UN Security Risk Management Measures (SRMM) and Residential Security Measures (RSM), ensuring that the UNSMS gender consideration policy is mainstreamed.
11. Supports the Regional Security Officer in following up staff member's compliance with existing safety and security protocols including completion of the mandatory Security training and obtaining security clearances as required.
12. Assist the RSO in organizing and delivering training courses on security awareness and preparedness and provide security orientation to visitors and newly assigned staff.
13. Responds to security queries and suggests appropriate course of action in coordination with the Regional Security Officer.
14. In the absence of the Regional Security Officer, conducts tasks of the Regional Security Officer as assigned by the RSO.
15. Performs other duties as assigned by the Regional Security Officer.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Master’s degree from an accredited academic institution, preferably in the field of International Relations, International Security, Political Science, Security Studies or related field;
• University degree with 2 years of relevant experience.
• Professional experience in the field of security management is mandatory;
• Experience with the UN Security Management System or Humanitarian security field is an advantage;
• Experience in planning, and operational execution of security management systems is an advantage;
• Previous experience in dealing with law enforcement agencies is preferable;
• Experience in liaising with security networks and counterparts in the East and Horn of Africa is an advantage;
• Good political and social knowledge of the country, as well as East and Horn of Africa Region;
• Training in emergency and disaster response is an added advantage.
• Computer literacy with a high degree of proficiency in commonly used applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel is required.
• The ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with others with diverse professional backgrounds is required. The ability to handle a heavy workload efficiently with minimal supervision and understanding the importance of close teamwork is highly regarded. In security/emergency services dedication to one’s duty is paramount and flexibility and commitment to these duties in an emergency will be expected and appreciated.
• The readiness to undergo all required security training.
Required: Fluency in both written and spoken English. Advantageous: Working knowledge of French
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to submit a Motivational Letter and updated CV, including daytime telephone number, e-mail contact and referees, to e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
referring to this vacancy notice.
Closing Date: 24 May 2021
Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.